Keta Roseby – Partner / Commercial Litigation & Employment
Keta Roseby B.Com LLB (Hons) MBA
Secretary: Rikki Smith
Keta Roseby is a Partner in the Commercial Dispute Resolution division and has experience in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution including contract disputes, building and construction matters, partnership disputes, personal and company insolvency, major debt recovery and employment law. Keta also has significant business experience in the construction industry.
However, Keta’s current practice is predominantly in the areas of Workplace Relations, Employment Law and Human Resources. Keta advises workplaces on a daily basis not only in relation to their rights and responsibilities but on the options available to assist in the cost effective and efficient management of their human resources.
Keta has completed a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) to strengthen her already broad understanding of the business community and ensure that the legal advice she provides encompasses the commercial reality of the matter. Keta is also an accredited mediator with considerable mediation experience.
Keta is a lecturer for the Law School at James Cook University in Civil Procedure and won the 2011 Sessional Award in recognition of her outstanding contributions to student learning. Keta also conducts regular seminars and training presentations either at Roberts Nehmer McKee or at the client’s workplace on current topics of interest, particularly in the area of Employment Law.
Keta is also an appointed sessional member of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) and regularly hears and determines matters in both Townsville and Brisbane across a broad range of the Tribunal’s jurisdictions.
Areas of Specific Interest
- Employment Law / Workplace Relations / Human Resources
- Bullying and Harassment
- Commercial and Contract Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Insolvency and Recovery matters
- Seminars and Training presentations / workshops
- Building and Construction
Qualifications and Affiliations
- Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws with Honours
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the High Court of Australia
- Admitted to the James Cook University Faculty of Law, Business and Creative Arts 2008 Dean’s List
- Masters of Business Administration
- Accredited Mediator
- Member of LEADR – Association of Dispute Resolvers
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Corporate Member, Townsville Chamber of Commerce
- Corporate Member, Townsville Business Women’s Network
- Lecturer, James Cook University School of Law
- “Firsts for You”, Pro bono presentation to local schools in 2013 & 2014.
Papers and Presentations
- “Are you in the Building & Construction Industry?: A Summary of the Building & Construction Industry Payments Act 2004”, December 2004.
- “Director’s Guarantees”, December 2006.
- “Debt Collection”, April 2007.
- “Bankruptcy Act 1966 – Provable Debts”, November 2008.
- “Workplace Dispute Resolution”, August 2009.
- “Employees: Risks in the Recruitment Process – don’t set yourself up for a claim”, February 2011.
- “Managing Employee Performance – The risk of getting it wrong”, May 2012.
- “Dealing with everyday workplace issues – Are you setting yourself up for a claim?”, March 2013.
- “Employee Redundancy – Why can’t I just make them redundant?”, April 2013.
- “Adverse Action Claims by employees – What you need to know”, August 2013.
- “Bullying & Harassment”, October 2013.
- “Employee Leave Entitlements – The common traps that cost you money”, November 2013.
- “Firsts for You”, Pro bono presentation to local schools in 2013.
- “New Workplace Bullying Laws – Learn how to safe guard you and your business”, March 2014.
- “Getting the Dismissal Right – Part 1”, April 2014.
- “Getting the Dismissal Right – Part 2”, May 2014.
- “Social Media & your employees – What you need to know to protect you and your business – Part 1”, June 2014.
- “Social Media & your employees – What you need to know to protect you and your business – Part 2”, July 2014.
- “How to reduce the number of ‘sickies’ in your workplace. Personal leave: friend or foe?”, August 2014.
- “How to reduce the risk of your employees making a claim for Workers’ Compensation”, September 2014.
- “Why is a contract of employment so important & what are the essential terms?”, October 2014.
- “My top 10 tips for reducing your legal risks in the workplace”, November 2014.
- “Firsts for You”, Pro bono presentation to local schools in 2014.
- “How can you be liable following a workplace complaint or inquiry by an employee? An update on the latest regarding adverse action claims and cases”, February 2015.
- “How to reduce the risk of your departing employee making a claim following dismissal”, May 2015.
- “Employee redundancy- why can’t I just make them redundant?” April 2015.
- “Managing employee performance- the risk of getting it wrong”, June 2015.
- “Workplace investigations- how to dodge a mine field.” July 2015.
- “How to immediately reduce your risk of a legal claim in the workplace. A short and sharp review of the recent employment law cases”, August 2015.